Research and Technical Trend in Nuclear Fusion in Japan
About: The article was published on 2017-12-01 and is currently open access. It has received 1 citation(s) till now. The article focuses on the topic(s): Nuclear fusion.
Summary (2 min read)
- In 21th century, multi-polarity of the world economy arises such as BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India and China) or developing countries in Asia and Africa.
- For economic efficiency & sustainable economic growth, it shows a contradiction that pursuing economic growth causes the destruction of environment or the disparity on the other side of earth.
- This type of partnership or agreement have been established between many countries because the trilemma cannot be solved by one nation.
- Second, the history and uniqueness of nuclear fusion are described.
2. Technology for Energy Issue
- Two third of electricity in the world comes from thermal power plant2).
- Solar power, wind power, water power, wave power, geothermal power and biomass are one of them.
- It is beneficial for countries like Japan where energy resources are poor.
- The incident in Fukushima exposed the vulnerability in handling nuclear power plant even in one developed country Japan.
3. Nuclear Fusion Energy
- The nuclear fusion energy, which described in this paper, is quite different from the technology used in the current nuclear power plants.
- Plants for the deuterium separation already exist all over the world.
- Technology for the blanket has been a key issue and intensively studied.
- Therefore, separation between hot plasma and superconducting coils are to be realized.
- In a fusion power plant, materials and equipment inside the reactor are to be radioactivated by energetic neutrals from fusion reaction.
3.1 History of Fusion Research and Development
- The stream of fusion energy research started from late 1920s.
- After this discovery, research and development toward nuclear fusion power, which would be the ultimate solution for energy crisis, has been carried out since the 1940s.
- Tokamak is another type of plasma confinement, which twists magnetic field by producing current inside of plasma.
- ITER will test the feasibility of fusion power plant.
4. Nuclear Fusion Trend in Japan
- Fusion energy trend in Japan will be presented.
- In Fig. 2 (B)11), the need for government involvement in different fields is shown.
- Along with the reduction of budget, working population in this field has been also decreasing.
- The result includes published documents from all over the world.
- Even though the budget and working population on nuclear fusion are in decrease in Japan, it shows research activities on international scale has been intensively promoted toward the construction of ITER and the commercialization of nuclear fusion power plant14).
5. Conceptual Reactor Design
- The authors have discussed the trend of fusion technology, focusing on tokamak type of plasma confinement of plasma.
- Since 1960s to present, 50 conceptual power plant design studies have been conducted worldwide16).
- In ref. 16, detailed explanations are denoted.
- Tokamak type has been frequently developed as a whole.
- Compactness can directly contribute to the cost-effectiveness since larger device gives rise of construction cost.
6. Summary and Discussion
- Research and development trend in tokamak fusion energy has been investigated in this paper.
- As for Japan, the government regards fusion energy as one important energy policy.
- 10) Japan Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology, “Current state of nuclear fusion research development in Japan”, The 13th Atomic Energy Commission (2014).
Did you find this useful? Give us your feedback
Related Papers (4)
Frequently Asked Questions (1)
Q1. What contributions have the authors mentioned in the paper "Research and technical trend in nuclear fusion in japan" ?
In this paper, the authors focus on technological aspects to solve the expected energy crisis in near future and discuss the research and technical trend in nuclear fusion.